Decked out for Summer
Nothing beats a mid-summer backyard barbie – especially if guests don’t have to stand around while you’re flipping the steaks. Good all-weather furniture, a decent-sized table and a designated area such as a deck, help define an outdoor ‘room’ for long, lazy gatherings. Building a deck is every DIYer’s dream and it’s not as hard as it looks.
A deck can transform a dull backyard into an all-summer-long destination for your family and friends. The type of deck you choose depends on your property, so it’s worth playing around with a couple of design ideas first.
All decks are made pretty much the same way, so it’s easy to adapt basic techniques to your own design. To start, you’ll need to mark out your site and draw a plan of the joist and bearer structure below the decking boards to work out the amount of timber you’ll need.
The steps in a nutshell:
1. Lay out the deck
2. Set the stumps
3. Add the frame
4. Fit bearers & floor joists
5. Lay the deck
6. Add a finish to the wood or let it age naturally
Build a deck to last the distance
With a few tools and a bit of patience, you’ll get a result you’ll be proud of for years to come. Be aware that nails and screws alone aren’t enough to keep a wooden deck sturdy and looking good over the long haul, a handy tip is to use Liquid Nails Heavy Duty to help hold the boards down. It will help prevent creaking and squeaks in the future as your nails and screws loosen up.
Liquid Nails Heavy Duty is specially formulated to give a durable, water and weather resistant long-lasting bond. Ideal for outdoor use, the bond is flexible enough to cope with normal shrinkage and thermal movement.
Liquid Nails Heavy Duty is an easy solution that helps:
• Achieve a sturdier, more durable finished deck
• Prevent and eliminate squeaking boards
• Prevent ugly and dangerous nail pops by accommodating for the natural movement, contraction and expansion of the timber
• Dries twice as strong in half as long
How do I use it?
• All surfaces should be structurally sound
• Remove grease, dust, dirt and flaking coatings
• Cut nozzle at a 45° angle to desired size, puncture inner seal with nail or wire
• Apply 5mm bead of construction adhesive directly onto studs and plates, press timber firmly against construction adhesive, adjust as necessary and nail/screw in
• Working time is up to 15 minutes. Very warm temperatures will decrease working time. If the adhesive becomes dry, scrape it off and reapply
• Clean up: if the adhesive is wet, use mineral turps, if it has dried, chisel or scrape off
• Ideal for bonding common building materials
• Formulated to increase structural integrity when used in conjunction with mechanical fasteners
• Special bond helps prevent floors from squeaking
• Improves project durability because the bond remains flexible while providing strong adhesion
• Weather resistant
What materials is it suitable for?
• Wet and treated timber
• Metals, masonry, concrete, plasterboard